The cold season has already arrived in many parts of the country. Here in Nashville, we are seeing both the temperatures and the leaves drop.
Itâ€™s important to prepare your home for the colder weather coming. Taking a little bit of time to winterize your home can save you a lot of time, and money, later on. We invite you to consider these tips for preparing your home for the fall and winter.
- Check window and door weather stripping for damage.
- Disconnect water hoses and turn off outdoor water supply lines and irrigation system.
- Wrap exterior water pipes or hose bibs with heating tape.
- Clean your gutters.
- Check your roof for damage or leaks.
- Fill cracks in your driveway and foundation.
- Check attic insulation for pest damage.
- Have your furnace serviced.
- Check your chimney for obstructions and make sure your damper is working.
- Clean and store your lawnmower.
- Aerate and fertilize your lawn.
- Change the air filters in your HVAC system.
- Change smoke detector batteries.
- Clean and store outdoor furniture.
- Have landscaping pruned and put fresh mulch down.
- Bring potted plants inside.
- Change your ceiling fan direction.
- Clean humidifiers before using.
- Check the condition of your pool cover.
- Make sure snow equipment is readily available.